Enjoying the Great British summer time should be safe and enjoyable for everyone, but whether you’re deciding to host a barbecue or enjoy a picnic in the countryside – it can come with some fire safety risks due to the intense heat, so take a look at our summer fire safety tips…
Countryside Fire Safety
This summer has seen its fair share of countryside fires, with Firefighters being called to at least six fires in just 12 hours as the temperature continues to soar.
- Do not light camp fires in the countryside.
- Do not leave bottles or glass in the countryside, sun shining through glass can quickly start a fire.
- Only use barbecues in suitable areas, with a means to extinguish and never leave them unattended.
- If you are a smoker, ensure that they are properly extinguished before disposing of them.
- Never throw cigarettes out of car windows, as they can set alight to dry grass and shrubbery.
If you see a fire in the countryside, dial 999, report it immediately and leave the area as soon as possible. An early call could mean the difference between a small, controllable fire and a widespread devastating one.
Who doesn’t love a nice barbecue when the sun is shining? Earlier this year, Fire crews in Plymouth were called to two separate incidents, which were caused by disposable barbecues.
- Ensure that the barbecue is on a flat site, away from buildings, shrubs and trees.
- Do not use excessive accelerant on a barbecue, only use recognised starter fuels and the minimum amount required.
- Never leave a barbecue unattended.
- Do not use a barbecue if you are intoxicated.
- Keep a bucket of water or hose nearby to extinguish, in the case of an emergency.
- Ensure the barbecue is cold, before trying to move it or dispose of the ashes.
- Be Carbon Monoxide aware – never use barbecues or gas camping equipment inside a tent or building as these can cause Carmon Monoxide poisoning.
Always ensure that you are following basic fire safety guidelines when you decide to use or host a barbecue, so that everyone can have a safe and enjoyable time!