Student fire safety at university

It’s that time of year where students have moved into their rented halls or accommodation, settling in and starting their year at university. For many students it can be the first taste of living independently, they have their essentials and they know the basics. But do they know their basic fire safety? Here are some tips for the students out there – so listen up!

  • Don’t overload plug sockets or extension leads. Make sure to unplug any electricals when they are not in use. This not only saves electricity but it also minimises any fire risk.
  • If you smoke, make sure you follow your accommodation rules – which generally means no smoking inside. Smoke outside and place cigarette ends into a small dish of sand or water to ensure they are extinguished.
  • Do not place tins, foil or cutlery in the microwave. Metal used inside a microwave will cause a fire, so leave them out.
  • Keep candles away from flammable surfaces and furnishings. Never leave candles unattended and make sure they are extinguished before going out or to sleep.
  • Make sure that your cooker is relatively clean and in good working order. Buildup of oil and grease is a fire risk.
  • Do not cook whilst under the influence of alcohol. If you’re on your way back from a night out or house party, have a look at what takeaways are open – they’re tasty and save you the hassle of cooking!
  • Be careful when frying with oil as this is an incredibly common cause of fire.
  • Make sure you have a working fire alarm, test every two weeks and replace batteries when needed.