Safety tips to ensure everyone has a Merry Christmas

Christmas is a busy and exciting time of year for everyone to enjoy, however sometimes Fire Safety can become lost in the whirlwind of excitement and rushing around in the lead up to Christmas. You are 50{a239b2aa571ef05ae9c516dc5a5d09b277caf1d728620f61ac620869cf9df505} more likely to die in a house fire around Christmas time than any other time of the year, so it’s important to remember that despite these extra distractions of wrapping presents, cooking dinner and visiting family, it’s necessary to put fire safety first and remain vigilant over the Christmas Holidays. Here at Fire FM we want you all to have a Merry Christmas, so we have provided some simple tips to keep you and your family safe at this festive time of year.


Christmas Trees

  • If you are having a real Christmas tree, make sure it is freshly cut. A tree with higher moisture is safer and less likely to catch light.
  • Top the water up for your tree daily, making sure the trunk is immersed in 2-3 litres of water so that it does not dry out.
  • If you are using an artificial tree make sure it’s approved by a recognised testing agency and is classed as fire resistant.
  • Do not place your tree in front of any heat sources, this includes radiators, heaters, fireplaces or televisions.
  • Never use real lit candles on a Christmas tree.
  • Dispose or remove the tree from the home within 10-14 days, any fresh tree will be drying out by this point.


Christmas Lights and Decorations

  • Buy new lights from a reputable shop, making sure it has the British Standards safety mark.
  • Inspect cables and bulbs for damage, if they are damaged it is best to dispose of them safely and purchase new ones.
  • Never insert or remove bulbs when the lights are switched on.
  • Do not use lights outside, unless they specify that they are made for such use.
  • Keep lights clear of decorations and other flammable materials.
  • Remember to turn the lights off when you go to bed or leave the house. Never leave the lights on if you are going out.
  • Keep lit candles, matches and lighters out of reach of children and pets.
  • Never leave candles unattended.
  • Blow candles out before you go to bed or leave the house.
  • Keep decorations away from heaters, lights and candles.

Christmas trees can go up in seconds, so make sure to follow Fire Safety regarding your tree and festive decorations.



  • Never leave cooking unattended, always have someone monitor the food so that it doesn’t burn or set fire.
  • Clean your oven, hob and grill regularly to avoid build up that could set alight.
  • Avoid cooking whilst under the influence of alcohol.
  • Keep oven mitts and tea towels away from the cooker.
  • Keep children and pets away from cooking surfaces and the cooker itself.
  • Always keep an oven mitt and lid nearby in case of fire, use them to smother the flames whilst you turn off the heat. Do not throw water onto the fire.


Fireplaces and Heaters

  • Never burn wrapping paper, cardboard or any packaging in the fireplace, they burn quickly and generate a lot of heat.
  • Don’t hang Christmas stockings around the fireplace when it is in use.
  • Always use a screen in front of the fire to protect yourself and furnishings from the fire spitting.
  • Never use flammable liquids to start a fire.
  • Never leave the fire unattended.
  • Clean the fireplace regularly to avoid build up.
  • Only use seasoned and dry wood, never use Christmas trees or unspecified wood in your fireplace.
  • Keep portable heaters away from curtains and furnishings.
  • Never place clothes or anything on top of a plug in heater.
  • Always unplug electric heaters when you go to bed or leave the house.



  • Avoid overloading wall sockets, even for short durations.
  • Inspect all wires and plugs before using them. Discard any defective wires.
  • Insert plugs fully into wall sockets, poor contact can cause overheating or shocks.
  • Do not run extension leads under carpets or rugs and avoid coiling or bunching the lead to stop possible overheating.
  • Always turn off plugs when they are not in use, except ones that are made to be left on (Freezers etc.)

For more information on how to stay Fire Safe this Christmas call Fire FM on 01582 668500.


We wish for you all to have a safe Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, from all of the team at Fire FM.