Hoverboard fire safety fears worldwide

Despite being one of the must-have gadgets of Christmas 2015, hoverboards carry a large fire risk and the evidence is clear. Just a week after it was announced that hoverboards are illegal to use in public, came the horror stories of the house fires that they were causing in the UK, USA, Australia and other countries.

The hoverboard itself is a gadget with two wheels, so despite the name, it is more of a self-balancing scooter. It is known that these gadgets are mass produced in China and then shipped to England with only minor retouches and cosmetic branding added, leaving cheap plugs and batteries that are usually untested and unfit for British standards. Since the increasing popularity of hoverboards, The National Trading Standards have tested thousands and have revealed that 88{a239b2aa571ef05ae9c516dc5a5d09b277caf1d728620f61ac620869cf9df505} of the ones that were examined had the potential to explode or catch fire.

One family in Melbourne, Australia had brought a hoverboard for their daughter for Christmas, they had it plugged in for a mere 10 minutes before it caught fire and took hold of their family home. Another incident saw 4 fire engines and a team of 20 firefighters battle a blaze in a London Southwark flat after a hoverboard had caught fire whilst charging. Amid safety concerns, leading retailer Amazon has also removed several of the gadgets from sale, until they are proved to meet safety standards.

Although it is heavily discouraged to purchase hoverboards either for yourself or as a gift, it is recommended that if you do purchase a hoverboard make sure that:

  • The hoverboard is tested and approved.
  • The plug is British, contains a fuse and conforms to British Safety Standards.
  • The hoverboard is not left unsupervised whilst charging.

Here at FireFM we care about your safety when it comes to fire, so please be cautious and safe regarding hoverboards.